Thursday, January 28, 2010

Week one

Arriving in Denmark I was greeted by two of my families, with many hugs and smiles.
We came straight home and had a nice family (Danish) lunch... meat, meat, meat and more meat... with some bread and sauces. I think being a vegetarian is punishable by law here in Denmark.

My home is right on the water, I could not have been hosted by a richer club I think! (touch wood). The view is beautiful, at night I can see all the lights of Frederikshavn. The whole back side of the house is made of glass, and has a never ending view of the ocean.

On Sunday Bente and Søren took me up the (only) hill to see a view of the city, from there I could see 3 of my amazing houses and all of both Bangsbostrand (my suburb and host club) and the city in the distance. IT WAS FREEZING up on the hill with all the wind!

Tuesday night I went and saw the White Hawks ice hockey with Neils-Erik (my third host dad). It was, to say, epic. And to my amusement, one of the players was my bank teller. Am I the only one that thinks that is crazy?! Also, on a billboard on the wall, there was a guy that looked EXACTLY like Starky. Both of which entertained me for most of the night.

I am learning Danish bit by bit. School is basically the perfect time for me to catch up with everyone back home in Australia as since I can't understand the Danish in all the classes, I favour my laptop with facebook and msn. I am in no way complaining. However being the nerd that I am I can't wait to understand Danish and learn something... The subjects I am in seem quite interesting - english, geography, french, music, government, religion, danish, psychology, history and gym (gym is not considered a pro however)

Tonight I went to my first Rotary meeting. It was really lovely, everyone was so nice! Again, I am excited to be able to understand Danish so I can become a lot more involved in the meetings.

All week I have been stressing about getting my box which we sent from home which finally arrives tomorrow. I don't think I can express how I feel about getting more of my shoes. And also having more than four outfits. Oh god, the pleasure of opening that box (no pun intended).

I am yet to curl in a ball and cry from home sickness. Let us pray that I stay strong! The rings and pendants that my family bought me do actually bring me warmth when I look at them, it is very reassuring for me to feel close to them still.

I urge everyone to get skype! Rotary gave us students the impression that if we talk to family we would get more homesick. Admittedly last night I was feeling a bit down... I then had an hour long conversation with mum via skype which then made me feel SO much more relieved. It is, like I said, reassuring.

My current family however is amazing. I feel very much at home and couldn't have asked for more or a better family!


There is so much I am forgetting to post I know!

Peow peow
Riley

2 comments:

  1. Hi Riley. As you can see I have created my own account just so I can be the first person to comment on your blogs. Life sounds like it is going well so far :) Though (considering it's you) you better, at some stage, get home sick and cry because you miss me! Anyways have fun! :) Miss you xoxo...
    Love Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing is incredible! :) You have inspired me and given me the wake up call I desperately needed. You are very brave, and I look up to you always. I miss you already! -NU

    ReplyDelete