Friday, February 26, 2010

Bjerringbro and Copenhagen


Oh my freaking Rowling...

The past two weeks have been so busy! I am on such a high about living in Denmark! (let's hope it stays like this, I don't want homesickness anymore th
anks... party, fun, party, fun please!)

Last week I was at intro camp with all the other new exchange students in Denmark, which was so fantastic. It was foremost a language camp where we just learnt the basics of Dansk. I thought it would be quite difficult but in fact I quite enjoyed it.
I made great friends that I get to see again next week for the Copenhagen get together (from the 5th to 7th of March). It sucks that I wont be able to go to the Gym's party on Friday but there will be more.



(These two photos were taken in Vibor, which is one of the two Viking capitals in Denmark.)

While at Bjerringbro (intro camp), we had a couple excursions to surrounding towns Vibor and Århus. They were both so beautiful... well, everything in Denmark is beautiful! The buildings are so old yet in such good condition! I feel like I have gone back in time sometimes.


After returning home from the week long camp at Bjerrinbro on Sunday, I left for Copenhagen early (4am!) on Monday morning. I absolutely loved it! I went with Amalie (my host sister), her boyfriend Rene and their friend Nitzsch. We visited some of the main tourist attractions; Parliament at Christiansborg, the Rundetårn - which was built for Christian IV, whom I believe, built the 'round tower' for his scientific studies of the stars. The tower is much like the line for the Cyclone roller-coaster at Dreamworld except steeper, needless to say the effort involved in climbing said tower is awful. Usually the view at the top of the tower is of the whole of Copenhagen, however it was very foggy and I could only see just one block ahead. This was totally okay with me however as I am so afraid of heights I would have freaked I think. We then also went to the royal residence at Amalienborg where thanks to 'friends in high places', I stood not 5 metres away from Prince Joacim (Prince Frederik's brother). We also in fact, almost ran over his dog... Good first impression right?!

Copenhagen was just beautiful and I had the most amazing time. It was everything I hoped for an more, and that is the reason I came on exchange!




While I have been away these past couple of weeks, Frederikshavn has had a few snow storms. When I returned on Sunday from Bjerringbro, the driveway was completely blocked with snow 2 metres high! I was bloody epic!

That is the mail box almost entirely hidden in snow at the top of our driveway. We had to walk down the bottom - it was next to impossible - we almost swam through the snow!



Here the window is also almost entirely hidden. It was so crazy! We had to get a huge truck to come in and clear all the snow as it was basically impossible to move!






On a more depressing note however, MY CAMERA BROKE! I should be getting a new one tomorrow, but I unfortunately didn't get to take any photos of Copenhagen. Hopefully I will take another holiday there sometime this year however, and the photos will be a lot better as there shouldn't be any fog! The damn dementors were everywhere in Copenhagen!

I have been to a couple ice hockey games now here in Frederikshavn for our team the White Hawkes and I really love it! Luckily my favourite Rotary people are able to get in for free and I can always tag along. Tonight we won 5-2 against the top team and secured our place in 3rd position to make it to the finals.

On Sunday I go to my first host family which I am quite excited for, I will be living with twins - Amalie and Kristine who are 19 this year and their parents Grete and Niels. Apparently the house is always full of life so it should be very fun.

Hopefully I have remembered all the important bits.
I miss everyone back home and hope you are all safe and well!
Lots of love!!!

2 comments:

  1. OMR ... twins? How could you? I feel cheated, replaced!! and she dares have a name similar to Amy >:( ... haha

    Otherwise, denmark sounds good! Hope you are having fun.

    Remember the rules!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riley if i am going to keep recommending that people read your blog could you please tone down the harry potter references?

    Thanks,
    Georgia

    ReplyDelete